Thursday, October 6, 2011

Social Media Marketing 101 -- By Brian N Biesik

What is Social Media Marketing?
If you have an income generating website, and you want it to do well, then it is a given that you must promote it. As many people have discovered, one of the most effective ways to market a new business is through the use of social media sites.
If you're not familiar with the term social media, it basically refers to any of the popular networking web sites that are available on the internet. These sites include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MySpace, and Tumblr; just to name a few. All of these sites, and many others, are great marketing tools because they expedite the process of gaining exposure on the internet.
Through the use of social networking sites, you can instantly make your family and friends aware of your new website, product, or service. These sites create a spider web effect that not only raises awareness amongst your direct sphere of influence, but also amongst their contacts, their contacts' contacts, and so on. That being said, there is virtually an infinite number of people who can gain access and exposure to your web site.
Is Social Media Marketing Right for My Business/Web Site?
The beauty of social media marketing is that it is appropriate for virtually any type of business you can imagine. If you are skeptical, then I want you to witness the popularity of social media marketing for yourself.
If you have a Facebook account, as most people do, search for a local business...perhaps a local candy shop, ice cream shop, or flower shop. In most cases, you will find that these businesses are all equipped with a Facebook fan page.
Now, let's broaden our horizons...let's search for a huge, muti-billion dollar per year company on Facebook...perhaps Pepsi or McDonald's. As you may have guessed, these international corporations are also outfitted with their very own Facebook fan pages.
Keep in mind that Facebook is only one social networking site. Many people and/or companies are on every major networking web site that they can find. As previously mentioned, these companies realize that social media marketing is one of the quickest and most effective ways to promote new offers, and therefore grow their customer base.
My advice to anyone that is either starting a business or looking to grow their existing business is to become a member of as many social networking web sites as you can possibly maintain and update regularly (at least three to five times per week). Be aware that doing so can be a daunting task. However, if you are dedicated and committed to increasing your internet exposure, then you can grow your business exponentially.
How to Approach to Social Media Marketing:
When you first launch a business, online or otherwise, it is very important to give people a reason to see what you have to offer. Depending on your particular business model, you must determine the best way to entice people to look further into your product or service.
Many companies use promotions or special offers to encourage people to click on their links and to visit their sites. Social media marketing can be easily incorporated into such promotions. For example, let's imagine that you wanted to increase your visibility on Facebook. You could announce that once fifty (50) people "like" your fan page, then you will give away a prize (a product or service) for free to one lucky fan.
If you are a brand new business, and cannot afford to incur a promotional expense, then you can try to catch potential customers' eyes another way. When I first started promoting my new business through social media, I used a very straightforward and almost "in your face" approach. My posts would read something along the lines of... "Check out my new site," and would be followed by a link back to my web site. Although I did receive a few hits each day, mostly from family members and friends, it was nothing substantial.
I learned a long time ago that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get a different result. Therefore, I knew it was time to change my approach. I could not be more happy that I did so.
I began to generate traffic directly to my site through motivational/inspirational quotes and sayings. To be very specific, I would insert a motivational post onto my personal Facebook profile. As a tagline/signature, I would insert a link to either my Facebook fan page or to my main web site. I would also post the same motivational/inspirational message on my Facebook fan page and my Twitter account for my current fans and followers. This process just about doubled the number of interactions on my Facebook page as well as the number of hits on my web site in a very short timeframe.
If you would like to model this advertising approach, then please feel free to check out my examples on both Facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/affiliatespotofgold ) and Twitter (@affpotofgold).
I wish you all the success in the world.
Affiliate's Pot of Gold
http://www.affiliatespotofgold.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Brian_N_Biesik

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6547035

No comments:

Post a Comment